Free Mexico Travel Guide and Travel Information

If you travel with your pet to Mexico

You must contact the official SAGARPA-SENASICA personnel to make a Certificate of Import of your pet, for this purpose, the officer will perform a physical and documentary inspection, to verify compliance with the following requirements:

Present a Certificate of Health in original and simple copy with the following elements:

  • Issued by an official veterinarian of the competent authority or if it is a particular one, on letterhead paper, with the number of the professional certificate printed or a photocopy of the same (or its equivalent)
  • Name and address of exporter (in country of origin or provenance) and importer (destination address in Mexico)
  • Date of application of the rabies vaccine and its validity (animals under 3 months of age are exempt)
  • That at the pre-trip inspection, the animal or animals were clinically healthy
  • That the animal or animals have been dewormed internally and externally within the previous six months and are free of ectoparasites. (This requirement does not apply to pets whose country of origin and origin is from the US and Canada)
  • If you do not comply with the above, you must contact a veterinarian (of your choice and for your account in Mexico), who will issue the health certificate and apply the corresponding treatment

Your pet must enter a carrier or container, clean, without bed, without implements or accessories, otherwise, they will be removed for destruction. The carrier or container will receive a preventive treatment by means of sprinkling by the official personnel of SAGARPA-SENASICA

You can enter the ration of the day of balanced food in bulk. We remind you that in Mexico we have this type of food that has the Registration and Authorization of SAGARPA-SENASICA.

If you send your pet documented as cargo, check the requirements on the airline of your choice and consider the need to use the services of a customs agent for release to Customs.


If you transport more than three pets, you must cover the cost of the Zoosanitary Certificate for Import (which may vary according to the current Federal Law of Rights).

The payment can be made through the format e5cinco via bank or internet window at

Remember that compliance with the regulations established by SAGARPA-SENASICA does not exempt you from compliance with regulations of other authorities at the point of entry to Mexico.

If you return with your pet to Mexico and come from the United States or Canada, you can present the certificate of health issued by the private veterinarian prior to your departure from Mexico.

As long as you indicate the date of rabies vaccination, which must be valid, and does not exceed six months of being issued, or you can present the vaccination card stating that the rabies vaccine is in effect.

If your pet returns to Mexico and comes from any country other than the United States and Canada, it exempts itself from presenting the health certificate, if, prior to your departure from Mexico, you processed the Mexican Export Zoosanitary Certificate, as long as the pet Date of the same does not exceed six months of being issued and have the application of the current rabies vaccine.

Use these tags to read more related posts and reviews:
Let us know if this article was useful for you