Arroz con Leche – A coconut milk rice pudding
Desserts have a way of transcending borders and cultures, connecting people through the universal language of sweetness. In Mexico, one such beloved dessert is a rice pudding, one of the favorites among Mexicans.
Rice pudding is a delicacy that is very easy to prepare and economical. It consists of rice cooked in milk with sugar, cinnamon, and raisins. It is usually thick, and in many cases, condensed milk is added to thicken it further.
Ingredients and consistency of a rice pudding vary by region.
Rice pudding can be light or very thick, but never dry. Sweet rice pudding is not exclusive to Mexican cuisine. This is a very popular dessert of Spanish origin, deeply rooted in Mexico, called “Arroz con Leche” (Rice with Milk).
This coconut milk rice pudding recipe is a vegan recipe that your whole family will fall in love with. Rice pudding is a typical dessert for Mexican families. This is a dessert that is passed down from generation to generation.
Rice pudding is a dessert made with cinnamon, lemon zest, and raisins. This recipe is made with coconut milk and is the perfect recipe for all of us who don’t eat dairy. This rice pudding is a typical dessert of Mexican cuisine.
This dessert will take you about 25 minutes to prepare.
How to make rice pudding with coconut milk
- 1 cup long-grain white or brown rice
- 1 can (13.5 oz) of coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar or cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup yellow and black raisins
- Zest from a green or yellow lemon
Rinse the rice under cold water to remove excess starch and prevent the rice from becoming sticky. In a large saucepan, combine the rinsed rice, coconut milk, sugar, cinnamon powder, and the cinnamon stick.
Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer.
Cover the saucepan and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the pudding has thickened to your desired consistency. Add more coconut milk if it gets too thick.
Once the rice pudding reaches the desired consistency, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly. Stir in the raisins and lemon zest. Add lemon zest to your taste, depending on whether you prefer more or less flavor.
Remove the cinnamon stick.
Serve the vegan rice pudding warm or cold, garnished with your favorite toppings, such as shredded coconut, white or dark chocolate chips, or dried fruit. You can also add more lemon zest or orange zest if you like.
This rice pudding is a delicious and dairy-free alternative to the traditional version.
Vegan rice pudding with coconut milk
- It’s usually made with white rice, but brown rice adds a little more nutrition to the dessert.
- Coconut milk is better because the fat content of coconut milk is great for making desserts.
- Sugar or cane sugar, both work best here.
- Use both cinnamon powder and cinnamon to sweeten this dessert even more.
- Yellow and black raisins work well.
- Lemon zest can be made with green lemon (more typical in Mexico) or yellow lemon.
Tips and ideas for making the best vegan rice pudding
- Use long-grain white or brown rice. Brown rice is rich in fiber and nutrients.
- To make this recipe 100% vegan, use coconut milk for a creamy and sweet dessert.
- Place yellow lemon or green lemon on it, and add a lemon zest or a cinnamon.
Use your favorite toppings!
You can use shredded coconut, white or dark chocolate chips, or dried fruit. You can also use orange or lemon zest to give this sweet dessert a hint of citrus and balance out the sweetness of the rest of the ingredients.
Recipe source: How to Make Arroz con Leche | Mahatma® Rice
Let us know if this article was useful for you